!!

Welcome Guest

You are viewing this forum as a guest therefore You are Not Allowed to Post and Reply and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

collapse

* Search

* Recent Replies

How to Apply for Payoneer Card and US Payment Service to Receive Amazon & others by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 16, 2017]

Website design issUe by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 16, 2017]

Joint venture on a single site by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 16, 2017]

don't have a website but still wants to run the online marketin by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 09, 2017]

Webhost purchase by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 09, 2017]

Payoneer Application by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 09, 2017]

Bing Ads And Google Adwords Payment Methods by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 07, 2017]

Selling Ebooks At Amazon by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 26, 2017]

facebook fan page by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 26, 2017]

Pay Per Click Fraud. by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 20, 2017]

Amazon Images/Images from Amazon by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 19, 2017]

Amazon Tracking of associate IDs Faulty by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 18, 2017]

Facebook Ads Payment by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 18, 2017]

how can i put html text and html tag into the notepad by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 17, 2017]

Direct log in to blogger by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 15, 2017]

facebook ads by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 03, 2017]

How to make a 3D E-book Cover (E-Cover)? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 01, 2017]

How Can I Change Or Beautify My New YouTube Page by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 31, 2017]

Any Free Wordpress Theme For uni/poly Portals? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 31, 2017]

How long by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 30, 2017]

How do I continue? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 30, 2017]

E-commerce Site by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 22, 2017]

Confused by Namecheap renewal fees by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 21, 2017]

Effective Paid Traffic Channel by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 20, 2017]

WordPress font by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 20, 2017]

pdf (ebook) from laptop to gmail acoun by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 18, 2017]

Website Traffic Season 12 - Amazing all-in-one tool for Google, Youtube, Amazon. by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 15, 2017]

Show/Hide Widgets in Blogspot Mobile Template by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 15, 2017]

How to Get Original Image For My Local News Blog by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 15, 2017]

how to create ebook covers by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 15, 2017]

Author Topic: Nigerians, stop using communication gadgets to wish each other “happy new month”  (Read 541 times)

Offline [Not Shown, Login to View]

• Forum Guide
  • Level 4 (Dedicated)
  • Respect: +267
  • 1st Chamber
  • My Rank: 86
Our leaders deserve all the jabs you could ever think of: selfish, clueless, irresponsible and corrupt are few of the perhaps harsh words usually used to label these people we choose by election or are selected to lead us. In recent times, world leaders have started describing the Nigerian President as “insensitive”.
We were under military rule for too long until 1999 when the country supposedly returned to democracy as clamored for with the hope that we would be led and governed by our free will. It has been an uninterrupted 14 years of democratic rule and yet, all seems a succession of bad choice of leadership.

Thanks to the advent and availability of the internet, almost half of the citizens can talk and write about how bad our leaders are. We are all quick to blame the leaders for bad roads, corrupt bankers, ruthless police, under-funded educational sector, poor health sector, unscrupulous business men,  worn-out shoes, empty pockets, evil wives, evil husbands, cultic school children … The list is endless.

I wonder if we should not start scrutinizing the twin part of leadership: followership.
I remember some years ago when the former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Bankole took a lot of flak for saying that leadership was not Nigeria’s problem but  “docile ” followership. I am beginning to wonder if Bankole was not right although “docile” may be too harsh.

First and foremost, the leaders were followers before they became elected or (s)elected to lead. They had at one time or the other been through what we all complain about. Most of them were once victims of bad governance before their elevation. In other words, they are not different from the rest of us. Even though we, the followers, are far more educated, yet, we seem helpless by resigning to fate when they unleash their unscrupulousness on us. But why is it that we are helpless and wish only God can help?
Why don’t we ask questions, for example, when internet service providers or cable providers or government agencies treat us as if we don’t matter when they fail to deliver services we pay for? Why do we just  grumble and complain when we could at least institute class action against any of the private companies for false advertising or marketing by deceit while writing joint petitions that would bear hundreds of thousands of signatures against erring government agencies that do not provide the services they should. Why will our electricity bills not reflect the usage and rather than take action, we decide to pay for days and times that service was never provided? The leaders will not post on the internet a dastardly act of a young girl being gang- raped by five devilish boys. Instead, we the followers circulate the clip on our BBM with nothing coming of our effort nor follow-up actions on our part.

Our leaders take pride in taking us for munmun (dolts) when they fail to deliver on their promises, but come back again and again soliciting our votes and all we do is sentimentally vote them in even when our reasons may not be in our interest, saying they will still rig, anyway even if we don’t vote for them.
They recycle themselves, including their family members and yet, we say what happens in some African states where a linage of a leader rules perpetually can never happen in Nigeria, but is that not happening today? We have a situation in which a man has being relevant politically since 1976 as a military ruler and a two-term milit-ocrat and yet believes he is the best that will happen to Nigeria.

Some revere him so much like a god they call him ‘Ebora Owu’.  It is alleged that the current administration is on fire now because the President is not playing according to his rule. We the followers made god out of him forgetting that he was once demystified by Abacha  in 1997. His erstwhile minister of education; Dr Oby Ezekwesili speaking at a convocation at her alma-mater (UNN), challenged this administration to a debate; that $45 billion in foreign reserves and $22 billion in the Excess Crude Account were unaccounted for. Did we care to ask that Jonathan should pick the challenge to refute the allegation? Sadly and with arrogance, his men waived the allegation as inconsequential.

Jonathan claims that the Council of State pardoned his former boss; Depreye Alaemiesigha, a convict and a wanted UK fugitive. Did we, the followers, ask about the council members that appended their signatures, was it Gowon, Obasanjo, Shonekan or AbduSalam, maybe Shagari?
On 2013 budget, why is it that the Presidency and the National Assembly have been unable to reach a common ground on the federal budget? The first quarter of the fiscal year has already ended, yet Nigeria and Nigerians do not know how the approximately $140 million dollars the country earns daily from crude oil sales alone are being spent.

If we ask questions, we will know how much debt our governors are racking up on our behalf. Few elites among us, perhaps for patriotic zeal cum sacrifice, some with innate ambition, perhaps due to past failures of government officials or due to seemingly endless mal-administrations at all quarters, have resulted to celebrating half measures, color-coating of terribly bad features and flagrant slaps upon the citizenry, and of course would continue to praise-sing a governor for patching ‘pot-holes’ on major roads as achievement and a thing of pride.

I still wonder what then is the duty and official job descriptions, if not to develop our land with our money. Taking us for 'munmun' [dolts], they in turn, shamelessly expect us to be grateful for them spending our collective money. What a shame in this digital age?
We shall be objective followers when we ask our leaders which route they are taking us before they embark on any journey whatsoever. We shall be great followers if we begin asking that our leaders account for the funding they received from all International agencies like World Health Organization (WHO). Our children shall live to succeed and benefit more on educational pedestal when we begin to ask our leaders how they plan to run a supposed mega-school policy with money borrowed on our behalf. If they know we will ask questions and hold them accountable, they will think properly before initiating any plans since they know they will have to come back begging for our votes again. They will know that we can petition the United Nations (UN) if only to call the world’s attention to our helplessness.  The U.N. Development Program (UNDP), International Monetary Fund (IMF), United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDF) and United Nations Public Administration Network (UNPAN) are all arms of the UN that promote good governance, and they run egalitarian administrations like networks of thread among all UN signatories. We, the people, as Nigerians, are signatories to UN protocols and actions, and all we need do is petition whenever our leaders refuse to do their job appropriately. Petitions can never be too much.

I just read how Egyptian followers woke up from their own many years of slumber. Their Facebook, Tweeters and mobile phones are not for “wishing you Happy Week or Month” as have become the habit among millions in Nigeria.
If one million mails gets to the United Nation’s Good Governance Charter everyday via our ‘BlackBerry’ or ‘Ipads’, we will achieve two things:  the world will know that our leaders are wickedly-unrepentant and secondly, it would make the leaders think twice before coming again for another votes knowing full well that our days as munmun [dolts] don terminate!

Knowledge Is Power – Seek For It

• Administrator
  • Level: Mentor
  • Respect: +7996
  • 18th Chamber
  • My Rank: 89
Although this is far from being a funny matter, I can't help but say "LOL" at the ingenious choice of words for your title. If you wrote this yourself then you must be a very gifted writer. Are you a journalist?
Leave it for God, don't worry yourself. Leave it for God, don't cry no more.

• Forum Guide
  • Level 4 (Dedicated)
  • Respect: +267
  • 1st Chamber
  • My Rank: 86
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Although this is far from being a funny matter, I can't help but say "LOL" at the ingenious choice of words for your title. If you wrote this yourself then you must be a very gifted writer. Are you a journalist?

@ Boss Tony - Thanks for your compliment.  I am not a journalist but an administrator.  To God be the glory for everything.

Best regards,

Aare MacFally

Knowledge Is Power – Seek For It