!!

Welcome Guest

You are viewing this forum as a guest therefore You are Not Allowed to Post and Reply and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

collapse

* Search

* Recent Replies

Payoneer card by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Yesterday at 08:44 PM]

Help on how to send bulk emails by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[May 18, 2017]

changing domain name by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[May 13, 2017]

No place like home by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[May 13, 2017]

Google AdSense by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[May 09, 2017]

How To Change Dot blogspot to Dot com by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[May 08, 2017]

Meta Tag Error - The element type "meta" must be terminated by the matching end- by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[May 07, 2017]

Site for soccer news by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[May 04, 2017]

How do I know if my new blog is Live? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[May 04, 2017]

Linking a web page to http://www.ng.com by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[May 03, 2017]

Is Hostnownow.com a reliable company for hosting and domain name registrstion? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 28, 2017]

How Can I Set-up social network on my blog website? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 24, 2017]

How to register and link my blog to Adsense by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 23, 2017]

fiverr backlinks by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 18, 2017]

Is SFI real? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 18, 2017]

Good day everyone by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 18, 2017]

Mapping or Linking Goddady Domains to Blogger Blog by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 18, 2017]

How to Create Peer to Peer Donation Website / Ponzi Script? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 18, 2017]

Amazon registration in becoming an affiliate 2016 by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 18, 2017]

Introducing My Own Free Web Hosting Company by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 11, 2017]

How To Get Free Web Hosting And Free domain by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Apr 05, 2017]

Should I use both Wordpress and Joomla on same website? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Mar 09, 2017]

How to Start Amazon affiliate marketing by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Mar 06, 2017]

Can I Point my Paid domain to a free hosting account? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Mar 05, 2017]

How do I get a website by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Mar 05, 2017]

GLAD TO BE BACK! by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Feb 28, 2017]

Thoughts that run the world by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Feb 09, 2017]

Adsense Acceptable Websites by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Feb 08, 2017]

Retrieving Profile Picture Option by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Feb 02, 2017]

SEO for my wordpress news page by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Feb 02, 2017]

Author Topic: Can I make money as a website designer?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline [Not Shown, Login to View]

• Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +19
  • 1st chamber
  • My Rank: 11
    • top article writing tips, article marketing and services
can one make it big as a web designer?? what lessons can one take to start designing for companies?? or is it professional to use the normal wordpress??

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, wesaytech.com

• Forum Guide
  • Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +73
  • 3rd Chamber
  • My Rank: 108
    • Nigerian Job Website
Re: please, this might sound funny
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2012 »
Of course there are web professionals who do that for a living but am sure they started from where you are now, that's why you need to take the MOB seriously because it's a complete package by the time your done, you can be a web professionals starting from your own work then you could advertise yourself for the company, before now I now a school mate who was paid 800k to do a state gov site so you could imagine and he showed me his own sites which he has built even his former work for other clients.
So my advice is let's patiently complete this course and the spring board to the big deals,k cheers
Better is not good enough, the best is yet to come!

• Forum Guide
  • Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +25
  • Webmaster
  • My Rank: 76
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2012 »
yungcheda: There is nothing funny about what you asked for. I think the best topic for this post should have been "Can I make money as a website designer"

Actually what Prince said could be true only if you have the passion to diligently pursue it. I want to assure you that it is highly rewarding to be a professional website designer just like Prince said.
We're one another’s strength; because where I’m weak[strong], u’re strong[weak].

• Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +19
  • 1st chamber
  • My Rank: 11
    • top article writing tips, article marketing and services
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2012 »
thanks guys...i am really trying to learn it but can one use wordpress to make a very professional website for companies??
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, wesaytech.com

• Forum Guide
  • Level 3 (Regular)
  • 3rd Chamber
  • My Rank: 108
    • Nigerian Job Website
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2012 »
Yeah and still depends on your expertise
Better is not good enough, the best is yet to come!

• Forum Guide
  • Level 4 (Dedicated)
  • Respect: +323
  • am already in cloud 9
  • My Rank: 41
    • Latest News In Nigeria
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2012 »
Couple with what my beloved gold mind has said, you can make it big as a web designer. You can use wordpress to design any kind of site you want; when i mean any kind of site you can think of. Saharareporters, vanguard newspaper, Guardian news ønline are designed with wordpress. You can only become a profesional web designer by constant practice from where you are. I will advice you to read harder the more. Success in online busines begins with the practice of lesson 1. Read until you are red. See you at the top.
Browse & Download unlimited with MTN here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Administrator
  • Level: Mentor
  • Respect: +7989
  • 18th Chamber
  • My Rank: 80
Re: Can I make money as a website designer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2012 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
yungcheda: There is nothing funny about what you asked for. I think the best topic for this post should have been "Can I make money as a website designer"
yungcheda this is right, i've changed the title of the topic for you but always try to make your titles related to the content of the topic that you are starting
Leave it for God, don't worry yourself. Leave it for God, don't cry no more.

• Forum Guide
  • Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +42
  • You Won't Shrink if you can think.
  • My Rank: 60
    • http://hotbusinesslink.com
Re: Can I make money as a website designer?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2013 »
thanks guys...i am really trying to learn it but can one use wordpress to make a very professional website for companies??
  Yes. But 2 be a professional web design, it will take u alot of practical.      I leant how to design a website with FRONTPAGE, but now by alot of practicse i ve built 3 sites for a client by using DREAMWAVER. Also am  practising how to use WordPress to design my new site.
can one make it big as a web designer??
Yes. By the time u build a site for like 5 clients and they are paying u for maintananse. It is a cool cash.

• Administrator
  • Respect: +12017
  • 34th Chamber
  • My Rank: 10
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2013 »
+1
You can definitely make it but don't expect success to come overnight. Also the amount you make can be greatly enhanced by how good you are with your site design skills. Some points to note:

Getting the clients
If you dont have a big budget for advertising then you should expect it to take longer for you to make it to the point where you can live comfortably as a web designer. Another way to hasten success is to go out and look for clients. Some states in Nigeria are more "enlightened" than others so the money you charge will depend on the people in your state or market and how exposed they are. While a company in Lagos might agree to pay N150,000 or more for a professional website, clients in some other states would never consider anything above N50,000, even less. Also it will be easier to convince an Abuja or Lagos business or organisation to create a website than someone in a state like Zamfara state.

But the trend is improving these days and many people are now seeking online presence of one form or the other.

Some possible clients to consider
 - wedding websites (see the following post for how to build them: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  )
- memorial websites (search Google for create create free memorial website)

- Churches, Schools, Private hospitals, hotels and other businesses.

- Government ministries and parastatals

- Think of more, look around your town/city

How to Build?
A good number of the sites you see today from Nigerian designers are Joomla and Wordpress. It all boils down to the theme that you are using and how to customize it if necessary. You may need to spend time looking for a good theme or template that suits your needs. You can even use Blogger to build your client's website (and get a custom domain for them). That way you can charge even less and make even more. But before you go into this business, you must learn to make your work look very professional and you must have mastered the design process.

Your Charges
Ppricing matters a lot too i.e how much you charge. When you are just starting out with no name and referrals, its best to charge moderate like N25,000 or N30,000 or less but as you begin to get more clients, garner more experience and understand the terrain better, you can move your rates up to higher to like N50,000 and above. We used to build websites for N15,000 - N25,000 when we first started but now our company will not build a website for anything less than 250,000, unless we just want to help the person. Why can we charge so high? Because we now have a name and reputation. A strong brand. This does not happen overnight. Also we have a lot of experience and can deliver very high quality jobs. This is something a newbie cannot do.

Handling your business:
Don't do any work before you get paid. Always collect at least 60% in advance if not walk away. Dont trivialize your service and present yourself as very professional. If they want to see a sample or demo first, show them a sample from any theme viewer website. Tell them that the modifications will be made when they make the deposit. Be professional. Tell them how long it would take and make sure there is a written agreement (called a Service Level Agreement) on the payment terms and what you expect to deliver (I have attached a sample to this post, you can customize it with your details and to your taste).

Once again, don't do any work without an upfront deposit because there are some very lousy people that will make you work and at the end will not pay you. In fact many times we have had people  even pay our deposit and when we present the work to them, they end up not completing the money. In such a case, we disable the website so it is also important that you don't hand over the access and login details until the balance is paid.

See some discussions below by some nigerian webmasters on issues of payment and what to charge clients:

Success is a state of the mind

• Forum Guide
  • Level 4 (Dedicated)
  • Respect: +267
  • 1st Chamber
  • My Rank: 86
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2013 »
+1
Dear Boss,

Thank you very much for the eduaative and useful tips.  It will go a long way to assist us.

Best regards,

Aare MacFally
Knowledge Is Power – Seek For It

• Forum Guide
  • Level 3 (Regular)
  • It may be difficult, but not Impossible! BELIEVE!!
  • My Rank: 15
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2013 »
Handling your business:
Don't do any work before you get paid. Always collect at least 60% in advance if not walk away. Dont trivialize your service and present yourself as very professional. If they want to see a sample or demo first, show them a sample from any theme viewer website. Tell them that the modifications will be made when they make the deposit. Be professional. Tell them how long it would take and make sure there is a written agreement (called a Service Level Agreement) on the payment terms and what you expect to deliver (I have attached a sample to this post, you can customize it with your details and to your taste).

Once again, don't do any work without an upfront deposit because there are some very lousy people that will make you work and at the end will not pay you. In fact many times we have had people  even pay our deposit and when we present the work to them, they end up not completing the money. In such a case, we disable the website so it is also important that you don't hand over the access and login details until the balance is paid.

Boss Eroms!

I greet!!! Been a while - i miss you o!

Thanks for this expository above i quoted.

Pls could you throw more light on these areas i picked out from your response, as quoted above? especially this area i picked out below.

If they want to see a sample or demo first, show them a sample from any theme viewer website.

I had a meeting yesterday with a designer outfit in VI that wants me to redesign their site. After taking down all their needs at the meeting, the last question was - so what are your charges?

My response was - let me go back and see the extent of work involved, and then we can talk fees. But to be honest, i told myself i will come here and ask. So, now that i have read your response here, coupled with the attached articles, i do have an idea. However, i still will solicit your advice please, with regards to what to present as my fees to redesign their site for them, so i am not too cheap or expensive.

Thanks!

• Forum Guide
  • Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +81
  • My Rank: 38
    • Chioma Andy's Blog
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2013 »
+1
wow! Boss Eremosele, you have shown that expertise and experience has no equal. Great post indeed.
for your daily scoop on Entertainment, News, and much more- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Administrator
  • 34th Chamber
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2013 »
If they want to see a sample or demo first, show them a sample from any theme viewer website.
What I meant was that if you are asked for a demo, go online and search different themes for the one you will use for the work, and them show them the online demo on the theme viewer site or any other site where the theme demo can be previewed.

For example, there are certain websites (sometimes called theme viewers) on which you can preview different themes for particular site design software like joomla, wordpress etc. Also Some themes have live demos which are just dummy websites where the themes have been installed for you to see what it looks like. Here's a post with links to online demos of somer free wordpress themes: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

One warning though is that if you do not plan to buy the theme then you should always search for free themes and make sure that you download the theme first before showing the demo to them. Downloading first is done so that if they like the theme you wont come back to find out that you cannot download it so it is always advisable to make sure that you can obtain the theme before showing them the online demo from the theme viewer website.

Is this clearer now?

However, i still will solicit your advice please, with regards to what to present as my fees to redesign their site for them, so i am not too cheap or expensive.
You are in a better position to decide this but a lot will depend on the type of company, and your state.

Ask yourself:
1. How much will you spend on the project e.g hosting, domain name, internet, fuel, airtime, transport to/from their office etc? - calculate all your costs so that anything you add on top will be profit
2. What type of organisation and How much do you think they will be willing to pay for this sort of work?
3. How much skill do you have to guarantee a quality product?
How long would it take you to complete the project and How much is your time worth to you - try to  place a naira value on your hourly work.
4. Is this a government job? (The tendency is to charge big for government jobs in Nigeria because you can be rest assured that the final figure the goverment will eventually pay out will be inflated several fold by the politicians and officials so you must to chop your own share of the national cake too. Also the government guys are generally ignorant of the actual cost of these things so dropping a bill of 5 or 10 M for federal website is the norm, for state 500k and above)

But in my own opinion, the following seem fair to me for an average size company (5 - 50 employees) outside Lagos, Abuja and PH, 65  to 100k  is not bad (start with 100k and if they bargain, don't go below 65k) while for Lagos and Abuja, 150k - 250K . But you must provide a very good quality job at these rates.

Finally, you should definitely visit this link again to read about what other Nigerian webmasters think: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Level 2 (Junior)
  • Respect: +22
  • 1st Chamber
    • Promoting events, news and the latest songs and videos from up and coming Nigerian artistes!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2013 »
Hello Boss Eromosele, thank you so much for the detailed responses on this topic so far. I know you've given tips from how to get a client to how to handle the business.

Please boss, I'm yet to design a website for a client, that's why I want you to throw light on registering a client's domain name, buying the hosting account ( or can I share my account with a client? ) and what to do after the project has been completed, payment completed and the access and login details handed over to the client.

Thanks!
It's possible if you believe it.

• Administrator
  • 34th Chamber
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2013 »
+1
I want you to throw light on registering a client's domain name, buying the hosting account ( or can I share my account with a client? )
You can host the client's account on top of yours but if you are collecting big money then its only fair that you give them their own hosting account. What do you really want me to shed light on concerning the domain name?

what to do after the project has been completed, payment completed and the access and login details handed over to the client. Thanks!
At that point your work is done so you can go home and pop champagne. If your agreement includes maintenance then its also your responsibility to monitor the site occassionally after this time and make sure that everything is running smoothly. Ideally you should also help them do the updates, periodic backups and solve any technical issues that might arise during the period of the maintenance contract.

• Level 2 (Junior)
  • 1st Chamber
    • Promoting events, news and the latest songs and videos from up and coming Nigerian artistes!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2013 »
What do you really want me to shed light on concerning the domain name?

I mean if I can register the client's domain name in my account with Namecheap assuming the client's payment is small.

• Administrator
  • 34th Chamber
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2013 »
What do you really want me to shed light on concerning the domain name?

I mean if I can register the client's domain name in my account with Namecheap assuming the client's payment is small.
Yes. But remember to use the client's details for the contacts

• Level 2 (Junior)
  • 1st Chamber
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2013 »
Ok boss. Thanks.

• Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +18
  • 1st Chamber
  • My Rank: 9
    • Online and offline business ideas and guide
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2013 »
I got two jobs from different client and i'm preparing to start working on them once am paid, but i want to ask if can I host the websites on my hostgator account or I should buy another different hosting plan for them. If I can do host it on my account, how will they access their mail? knowing fully well that the site must have a custom domain name. Thanks

• Forum Guide
  • Level 4 (Dedicated)
  • 1st Chamber
« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2013 »

I want you to throw light on registering a client's domain name, buying the hosting account ( or can I share my account with a client? )
You can host the client's account on top of yours but if you are collecting big money then its only fair that you give them their own hosting account. What do you really want me to shed light on concerning the domain name?

what to do after the project has been completed, payment completed and the access and login details handed over to the client. Thanks!
At that point your work is done so you can go home and pop champagne. If your agreement includes maintenance then its also your responsibility to monitor the site occassionally after this time and make sure that everything is running smoothly. Ideally you should also help them do the updates, periodic backups and solve any technical issues that might arise during the period of the maintenance contract.

@ Ojekunle  -  Your questions have all been answered in this thread particularly the portion quoted above.  You can the thread over and over again.

If you get a small amount of money which will not permit you to buy different hosting plan, then there is no harm in hosing the website on your account with e.mail limitation to the client.  However, if the client pay a reasonable charges, then you need to go for a new hosting plan to enable the client enjoy all the full benefits including e.mails addresses.

I think it is better you charge your clients a reasonable amount which will enable you to buy independent hosting plan for them and also enter a maintenance agreement bearing in mind that the hosting charge is renewable annually.

Best regards,

Aare MacFally

• Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +18
  • 1st Chamber
  • My Rank: 9
    • Online and offline business ideas and guide
« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2013 »
Thanks so much Aare for this full explanation.

• Forum Guide
  • Level 4 (Dedicated)
  • 1st Chamber
« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2013 »
Thanks so much Aare for this full explanation.

You are welcome Prof. Ojekunle......