!!

Welcome Guest

You are viewing this forum as a guest therefore You are Not Allowed to Post and Reply and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

collapse

* Search

* Recent Replies

What is a Feed and What is the Importance? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jan 12, 2017]

May I Introduce myself by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jan 11, 2017]

how do i sort for jobs to place on a job website by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jan 09, 2017]

SEO for my wordpress news page by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jan 09, 2017]

powered by blogger by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jan 07, 2017]

How Often Should I Post New Articles? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jan 04, 2017]

Suggested Structure of an Ideal Sales Page by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jan 01, 2017]

site review by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 31, 2016]

Blogger video bar configuration by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 16, 2016]

Picture permission from a website before using it. by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 11, 2016]

how to create news post without copying or editing content from another site by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 08, 2016]

Website Showcase - Drop Your Website Link(s) Here by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Dec 06, 2016]

Expired domain parking and flipping by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Nov 19, 2016]

adding a login page and registration page to a site by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 12, 2016]

Questions on website building. by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 08, 2016]

Question on links by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 08, 2016]

Implication of CBN Governor's statement by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 04, 2016]

Adsense did not accept my request by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Aug 04, 2016]

What is Revenuehits by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Aug 04, 2016]

Get Paid to Write an E-Book by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Aug 02, 2016]

netcontacts real or scam by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jul 29, 2016]

How to Start Amazon affiliate marketing by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jul 29, 2016]

Can I use One website for Adsense, amazon and Information Marketing? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jul 29, 2016]

Traffic generation for clickbank offer/product by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jul 22, 2016]

installing simple machine forum to once site by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jul 13, 2016]

Link not working by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jul 07, 2016]

My weblog wasn't accepted into adsense by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jul 05, 2016]

Guest Posting by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jun 28, 2016]

Social Networks Addresses - Drop Your Link by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jun 22, 2016]

65 Website Traffic & Link Building Techniques by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Jun 22, 2016]

Author Topic: Please Criticize my forum  (Read 1054 times)

Offline [Not Shown, Login to View]

• Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +32
  • My Rank: 56
    • Internet::Gaming::Technology::Tutorials::Tricks::Money::
Please Criticize my forum
« on: Jun 09, 2012 »
Hello everyone, I just setup a forum and done some finishing touches to it. I would like to hear your critics,advice, what to add or even remove on the forum.

I need all the suggestions I can get because this is my very first online project. Here is my forum web address You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Yes am still using a free domain that's because am yet to come up with a name for the forum. Once I do i will register a domain name.

The funny thing is that I just told 5 people about the forum and I have noticed alot of views on each threads but I find it funny that they refused to register and comment. PLs any advice on this too?

Please visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and let me hear your comments thanks

Visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login latest update on Internet:Gaming:Technology:Tricks:Money:

• Forum Guide
  • Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +72
  • 3rd Chamber
  • My Rank: 108
    • Nigerian Job Website
Re: Please Criticize my forum
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2012 »
Well well well, this is a good job, it almost looks like this one.
First of all am trying to get what the forum is strictly about cos am seeing so much generalizations.

Then in your rules,I think I have a problem with the undertone, sounds Bossy, and scary hence.

Now whenever I get to a forum the first question I ask myself is what specifically can I get from here, other forms of knowledge can come as periphery but there must be one major need that I believe my joining the forum should meet.

Then another thing is the date below the rules and regulations, am thinking if it's actually necessary or is their a particular reason it should be there ?

There's this statement on the upper right section "home of Africans" to me I think by saying that you have limited he scope of the forum, and also have contracdicted yourself  "disseminating information and empowering folks around the globe"

But bro I personally must commend you skill,effort and dedication to come up with this

Better is not good enough, the best is yet to come!

• Level 3 (Regular)
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2012 »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There's this statement on the upper right section "home of Africans" to me I think by saying that you have limited he scope of the forum

I thought about that too but that can be corrected piece of cake, as for the scope or focus of the forum its a general forum something like nairaland.

The issue am having is the target of visitors I don't know what there interest is? If I knew I will just narrow it to such people interest then build on that.

Its quite difficult for me updating all the threads so I have to focus and pick one category. I will focus on the following:

Information Technology~(All about computers and internet) Hardly think there is a Nigerian ICT forum
Video game forum (All about games) I dont there is a game forum for Nigerians
Job vacancy forum(All about Jobs posting vacancies etc) There is a thousand of Nigerian forums for job vacancy.

Those are the three I can think of for now unless you can give me some ideas as it is the forum is open to all categories.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login latest update on Internet:Gaming:Technology:Tricks:Money:

• Forum Guide
  • Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +72
  • 3rd Chamber
  • My Rank: 108
    • Nigerian Job Website
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2012 »
Yeah, but I think just quickly starting from a forum could be very tasking and challenging when you haven't started with a product, like this forum now, they started with a product which helped them have a database of emails of those who subscribed and bought the product, so you could try starting out with something of that nature it could even be free just to get them to register.

Thats like how I know it for forums, but I believe the boss could also point out some important clues for you
Better is not good enough, the best is yet to come!

• Level 3 (Regular)
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2012 »
You are right building a community is a lot of work. But building it from a product is a different thing, okay what about if they don't buy your product what next?

• Forum Guide
  • Level 4 (Dedicated)
  • Respect: +323
  • am already in cloud 9
  • My Rank: 40
    • Latest News In Nigeria
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2012 »
I just surf thru ur site now and i must sincerely applaud u 4 wat u'v done.
First of all, i want u to fix diz::
- Remove d home of Africans and replace it wit somtin more generalistic.

-  is dir a way u can hide ur full post nd only show the excerpt so dat those who don't log in won't see d ful post?

-  I noticed that ur posts has no images. Pleas alwaz mak sure dat ur post are acompanied wit explanatory images on wat u ar writin abt most expecialy wen u ar givin out tutorials.

- ther ar som post u wrote their as if u ar nt sure if it gona work but try. Diz is it alwz write ur posts as if u'v tried it b4 nd it working evn if u'v nt try it b4. By diz u captur d heart of d reader.

- mak sure users alwz c somtin new weneva da visit if not da might nt com back.

- Ur ebooks 4 now should be free. Until u hav generat a good numbr of email list b4 u cn begin thinkin of selling dem.

- i also discover that ur ads is nt showing 4rm mobile view and dz may som hw limit ur clicks... I dnt knw how u ar gonna fix dat. Bt try as much as posible 2 do sometin abt it.
 Wel 4 nw diz ar just my littl observatns. Thumbs up 4 a goodwork wel done.
Browse & Download unlimited with MTN here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Level 3 (Regular)
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2012 »
I just surf thru ur site now and i must sincerely applaud u 4 wat u'v done.
First of all, i want u to fix diz::
- Remove d home of Africans and replace it wit somtin more generalistic.

-  is dir a way u can hide ur full post nd only show the excerpt so dat those who don't log in won't see d ful post?

-  I noticed that ur posts has no images. Pleas alwaz mak sure dat ur post are acompanied wit explanatory images on wat u ar writin abt most expecialy wen u ar givin out tutorials.

- ther ar som post u wrote their as if u ar nt sure if it gona work but try. Diz is it alwz write ur posts as if u'v tried it b4 nd it working evn if u'v nt try it b4. By diz u captur d heart of d reader.

- mak sure users alwz c somtin new weneva da visit if not da might nt com back.

- Ur ebooks 4 now should be free. Until u hav generat a good numbr of email list b4 u cn begin thinkin of selling dem.

- i also discover that ur ads is nt showing 4rm mobile view and dz may som hw limit ur clicks... I dnt knw how u ar gonna fix dat. Bt try as much as posible 2 do sometin abt it.
 Wel 4 nw diz ar just my littl observatns. Thumbs up 4 a goodwork wel done.

Thank you both for your advice, I appreciate it. This forum is just a test subject its not my final thing, that's why I have not bothered getting a domain name for it.

Am learning and its work in progress, I can now install n setup a forum from scratch. The real project will soon kick off. I will keep you all updated!

• Administrator
  • Level: Mentor
  • Respect: +7989
  • 18th Chamber
  • My Rank: 77
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2012 »
Adeseye I must commend you on your work. You are on the right track. Keep experimenting and getting better and Let us know if you need any assistance with anything.

However, today I noticed that the forum and all its contents have been totally hidden from public view unlike the last time I checked. This shouldn't be so. If you cannot implement what Yomiprof said about showing parts of the posts, then you should make the whole thing visible to guests, but to post one must be registered.

I dont know if the hidden posts thing was inspired by this forum where only members can see posts, if that is the case, we are hiding the posts here for a different reason. You will notice that we are not trying to monetize this forum yet and in fact we are trying to hide it from the public view, but in your case you want the public to come so dont hide your content because if you do so, nobody will be motivated to join when they cant see what you have to offer (remember there are millions of forums out there)
Leave it for God, don't worry yourself. Leave it for God, don't cry no more.

• Level 3 (Regular)
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2012 »
Thank you, I have decided to open the forum to everyone.

• Administrator
  • 18th Chamber
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2012 »
Much Better.

Some SMF forums have something like a bar on top that tells a visitor that they need to register to participate. If you can add something like that it would help too, to let people know that they need to register to be able to post. Sadly I don't know the name of the mod but I'm sure if you dig well you might get it.

At this point in the life of your forum you have to create your content by starting posts with the hope that people will comment. Decide what kind of forum it will be (technology or general). Go through popular nigerian forums and blogs in your niche and try to figure out topics that seem to be popular. For a general forum, romance and entertainment/gossip topics always seem to be popular and dont expect members pouring in too soon. I wish you well.

And I'm still waiting for you to resend that PM of yesterday, I've not yet seen your response.

• Level 3 (Regular)
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2012 »
Thanks I will look into that, as for the ebook. I have put together an ebook on google approving your application for adsense. It was a bit different from yours accept you still approve it for me to sell, sure the etisalat is back and working fine.

• Administrator
  • Respect: +12017
  • 34th Chamber
  • My Rank: 10
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2012 »
Yeah, but I think just quickly starting from a forum could be very tasking and challenging when you haven't started with a product, like this forum now, they started with a product which helped them have a database of emails of those who subscribed and bought the product, so you could try starting out with something of that nature it could even be free just to get them to register.

Thats like how I know it for forums, but I believe the boss could also point out some important clues for you
Actually it doesnt always follow like that. Most beginnings are difficult, whether its a product or forum or blog. We really didnt start with a product, it all started with our latestnigerianjobs website. From there we got the idea for the product. And as at the time of selling the first book, we had no plans to create a forum until people started suggesting it to us. At the beginning of latestnigerianjobs, it was very difficult but as we went along we were able to build (and are still building) a large email list and loyal followership of subscribers which now made it easy for us to promote our ebook and ensure its success.

Whether you start with a blog, product or forum, it all boils down to how much subscribers and members you have. Remember what they say: the money is in the list.

Many popular forums did not start with a product e.g nairaland. But if the nairaland guy should decide to come out with a product tomorrow, he will be able to make millions within a short time because he has hundreds of thousands of members whom he can easily market to.

So whether you are starting with a forum or blog or product, focus on getting many members or subscribers and everything else will come much easier down the line.

Information Technology~(All about computers and internet) Hardly think there is a Nigerian ICT forum
Video game forum (All about games) I dont there is a game forum for Nigerians
Job vacancy forum(All about Jobs posting vacancies etc) There is a thousand of Nigerian forums for job vacancy.
Actually I think there are forums covering ICT and Games etc in Nigeria even if thats not their exclusive niche. Dig hard and you will surely find them, I know I've come accross a few. In fact nairaland has active sections on each of those niches. But they are not as common as job forums. Don't assume that the competition does not exist, search them out, find them, compete with them, study what they are posting and crush them.

Then in your rules,I think I have a problem with the undertone, sounds Bossy, and scary hence.
In my opinion, its okay to sound a bit bossy because those are rules and rules are meant to be adhered to strictly. What you should however avoid by all means is sounding bossy when replying to posts or enforcing the rules. Some members will break the rules but always try to be patient about reminding them to follow the rules. It can get annoying at times but you just have to be patient. Try not to present an attitude of bossiness or superiority to your members. Instead try to make them see you as a friend and as one of them and not their ruler. But when it comes to enforcing the rules you need to be strict and firm without sounding bossy or like a dictator. Use gentle language to make the rulebreaker understand that he has broken a rule
Success is a state of the mind

• Level 3 (Regular)
« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2012 »
Thank you

• Administrator
  • 18th Chamber
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2012 »
Well well well, this is a good job, it almost looks like this one.
First of all am trying to get what the forum is strictly about cos am seeing so much generalizations.

But bro I personally must commend you skill,effort and dedication to come up with this

Yes his forum almost looks like this one because they are built with the same software called Simple Machines Forum or SMF. You too can get your own free one at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Administrator
  • Respect: +12017
  • 34th Chamber
  • My Rank: 10
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2012 »
Yes his forum almost looks like this one because they are built with the same software called Simple Machines Forum or SMF. You too can get your own free one at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You can also download the script for free from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and host it yourself.
Success is a state of the mind