!!

Welcome Guest

You are viewing this forum as a guest therefore You are Not Allowed to Post and Reply and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

collapse

* Search

* Recent Replies

facebook ads by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Yesterday at 05:01 PM]

E-commerce Site by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Yesterday at 12:01 AM]

Confused by Namecheap renewal fees by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 21, 2017]

How Can I Change Or Beautify My New YouTube Page by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 21, 2017]

Effective Paid Traffic Channel by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 20, 2017]

WordPress font by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 20, 2017]

How long by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 18, 2017]

pdf (ebook) from laptop to gmail acoun by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 18, 2017]

Website Traffic Season 12 - Amazing all-in-one tool for Google, Youtube, Amazon. by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 15, 2017]

Show/Hide Widgets in Blogspot Mobile Template by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 15, 2017]

How to Get Original Image For My Local News Blog by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 15, 2017]

how to create ebook covers by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 15, 2017]

Cheapest domain site and purchase with master card by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Oct 05, 2017]

Amazon Identity Verification by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 28, 2017]

Any monthly charges from Paypal? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 22, 2017]

Using RSS Gadget by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 22, 2017]

Old WordPress inbuilt themes by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 22, 2017]

how can i put html text and html tag into the notepad by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 18, 2017]

change from .blogspot.com to .com by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 17, 2017]

HTML code for Menu Buttons by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 17, 2017]

Buying Facebook group for traffic by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 16, 2017]

MBE 104_7_Building a Forum. by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 16, 2017]

Web Design Review by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 14, 2017]

Blogspot Label or page? by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 13, 2017]

Adding HTML Code to Blogspot by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 13, 2017]

My traffic sources by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 13, 2017]

Google Keyword Tool Asking for card details by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Sep 04, 2017]

Alternative way to buy a domain and host by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Aug 28, 2017]

The number of times to post new content in a blog by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Aug 27, 2017]

Problem on Adding widget to feedburner by [Not Shown, Login to View]
[Aug 27, 2017]

Author Topic: How to BackUp your Wordpress Website - Do it Now!  (Read 516 times)

Offline [Not Shown, Login to View]

• Administrator
  • Level: Mentor
  • Respect: +7996
  • 18th Chamber
  • My Rank: 85
Why Back Up Your Website?
One very important reason to backup your site now is that with the current spate of blog and website hacking incidences being recorded worldwide, it is imperative that you maintain a regular backup of your website especially if you create new content. If no new content, then you should backup up at least once. Right Now.

Because anything can happen at anytime that could cause you to lose all the data and information on your website. Which means all those hours and months and years of hardwork will all go down the drain forever and you have to start everything over from scratch.

Blogspot
If you use Blogspot, you do not need to worry about hacking because Google handles that aspect, but you still need to backup your posts because Google can shut down your blog any day if they feel that you are breaking their terms (like what happened to Linda Ikeji sometime ago). With Blogger, you only need to export your blog and that serves as a backup. See here for how: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Wordpress
But if you use Wordpress, you need to read the following and act on it NOW:

When I talk about hacking in relation to wordpress, the summary of it is that bad people (usually) using automated programs can gain access to your website or server and cause some damage to files or data. The effects are many and varied but no one is positive. In many cases your website becomes inaccessible or infected with a virus that causes it to be blacklisted by search engines.

And where it is a server wide issue, it could affect other websites hosted on same server including other people's websites if its a shared hosting account (and vice versa).

There has been an upsurge in cases of hacking attempts targeted at wordpress in recent months coupled with some new vulnerabilities being detected in many popular software used in most websites and servers which make them susceptible to hacking. The bottom line is that the web is a very unsafe place right now and anything can happen at any time.

That's why it is very important to always have a backup of your website somewhere else so that in the event that anything ever happens to it, you can always bring it back up.

Things you should back up in Wordpress
These include:
- Your Posts
- Your site configuration (Plugins, settings, themes)
- Your uploaded images and files
- Your site database

Recommended Way to Back Up Wordpress
Note that most free wordpress back up plugins will not offer a full backup of everything on the list above. One of the best ways to backup your website is by using the following method but it is a little technical: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you cant do it like that, then you can try the various Levels as explained below:

There are various levels of backup you can do based on your level of experience. The most basic is keeping copies of your posts especially if you are typing them by yourself. Make sure that you have copies of the Word files (assuming you use MS Word) stored elsewhere.

Follow the steps below to achieve a full backup of your site. Level 5 is optional but if you have the technical ability then you should do it too.

LEVEL 1: Basic Back Up
At the most basic level, I normally zip all my articles together, save them in a safe location on my computer. I also upload the file to my email using a descriptive file name and date like greatsitename_bkup_oct_28_2014, name the email subject along similar lines too, that will let you know that this is the backup done on so and so date. And everytime you have new posts, back everything up again in same way so that the most recent backup contains everything - both old and new posts. This is your raw content which is at the core of your website.

I also upload the backup file to microsoft onedrive just for additional assurance. Microsoft OneDrive is free, you just go to the site, register and you are given 15 Gigabytes of Online Storage Space for free. You can also use any other online file storage service for this.

How to Get OneDrive
Go here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Click on Sign Up and Select Personal Account. Check the bottom right area where it says Don't have a Microsoft account? Click on Sign up now, then create a Microsoft Account and just follow the screen guides. You can also watch this video for more on this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

LEVEL 2: Site theme and Settings Backup
When you have your raw content backed up, the next step is to backup your site look and structure. To do this you need to download any modified files in your theme (or child theme). If possible you should also have a downloaded copy of your theme. You need to also find a way to take note of the plugins used and if possible the settings. What I would normally do is copy the list of plugins into a text file and for the settings I just make little notes underneath each plugin where applicable. Most of the plugins settings are easy to recall so for those ones I don't take down any notes.

LEVEL 3: Backing Up your Posts, Pages and other settings
This is done by exporting your posts from within wordpress. Some backup plugins can also handle this but it's not difficult and you don't need a plugin. The posts are compiled and exported as a single XML file which you are prompted to download. The file can also be used to restore the site by importing to a fresh new empty blog and you will have all your posts, comments, categories, tags and everything back up. But if you don't do step 4 below, you won't have your images or downloads when you restore like this. Read here for more (select the "All Content" option when doing it): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

LEVEL 4: Backup Your Uploads
Exporting your site as in STEP 3 above will not contain your uploads (images and other files). To get your images and pics backed up, you need to download the contents of the folder that wordpress uses to store those images and files. This can be a little technical because it involves logging into your site's root directory via Cpanel or preferrably an FTP Program like Filezilla and downloading the contents of the following directory of your website   /wp-content/uploads . If you installed in your root directory, you can find this under public_html/wp-content/uploads  or something similar.

LEVEL 5: Backing Up Your Database
This is a little bit technical but can be very convenient when restoring or moving a site if you know how its done. However its optional and if you are only able to do the 1 to 4 above, you are 98% covered. But if you can do all 5 Levels, you will get 100% backed up.

Note: This level can be challenging if your database is very large. Also some plugins like StatPress gather a lot of data that can bloat a database unnecessarily so you need to uninstall such and delete the bloated table if you are having problems with a database that is too large.

See how to backup a Wordpress database: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Leave it for God, don't worry yourself. Leave it for God, don't cry no more.

• Level 3 (Regular)
  • Respect: +71
  • My Soul Praise the Lord
  • My Rank: 113
Thank you so much sir Tony, this has been so helpful indeed. Thanks for your time and concern, I will do it immediately.
Forward ever, the best is yet to come. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Administrator
  • Level: Mentor
  • Respect: +7996
  • 18th Chamber
  • My Rank: 85
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you so much sir Tony, this has been so helpful indeed. Thanks for your time and concern, I will do it immediately.

You are welcome Lucy
Leave it for God, don't worry yourself. Leave it for God, don't cry no more.